Ghost Precht

A dumping ground for the inane...

Monday, December 05, 2005

In response to questions about the Bahá’í Faith


I was actually born into the Bahá’í Faith, and am forth generation on my

mother’s side. This is, of course, not to say that the decision to become a Bahá’í wasn’t my own. It works out like this… As a Bahá’í I’ve spent my life investigating religion – reading the Bible (both new and old Testament), Qur’an, Buddhist scripture, etc. – and once a Bahá’í reaches the age of 15 they’re asked to decide what Faith do they prescribe. For me it was easy. Everything about the Bahá’í Faith fits with who I want to be and what I want to do. Now, I do know people who have decided on a different path, and that’s great. It’s important that each person makes the decision by his/her self.

Regarding the people in the Faith, it’s a complicated situation. A lot of people

have told me that they have problems with people in their religious community, especially based on differing understandings of scripture. In the Bahá’í Faith that happens, but in a different way. We have what’s called “Independent Investigation of the Truth.” So as to say, each person should read texts, meditate on them and, often times, consult others on what something could mean. At no point does one person have all the answer, or does any one person preach to anyone what is in the scripture. It’s all very personal; between you and God.

That’s the short version, I suppose. Realistically, the Bahá’í Faith is the most

important thing in my life, and I’m glad chose to be a Bahá’í.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    right on. :-)

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger David Precht said…

    The word verification for this comment was "pmizp"; which I found very funny, for some reason.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha I didn't even pick that up. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home