Ghost Precht

A dumping ground for the inane...

Friday, April 15, 2005

The following is an email I sent to Matthew regarding why I can love the Rangers, Orioles and Cubs equally


I am a sports fan. I enjoy watching and playing sports. Due to this, I am encouraged to

view the player more than the team unless I am playing for that team. I like to watch pitchers. Roy Halladay, Hudson, Zito, Wakefield they’re all great pitchers with unique styles, and I enjoy watching those guys pitch. Therefore, I don’t see any problem with watching a baseball game and rooting for a team based on who is playing in that game. Halladay pitched last night here in Arlington, and I rooted for him but also the Rangers. See, it’s an issue of enjoying the game too much, and focusing more on that and less on the specific. Grander over the small. I see no problem with that.


As it stands, I was born in Texas and I rooted for Nolan Ryan. He was and will probably

forever be my favorite baseball player simply because of his form and demeanor on the mound. The guy struck you out even before you walked into the box, and that amazed me. He made me pull for the Rangers. He was there, so I rooted for them. My father was born in Maryland. He and his entire family rooted for the Orioles because they were born there and because of their history. My uncle mowed Jim Palmer’s lawn, when we went to visit my grandfather would take us on tours of famous ballplayers homes. Cal Ripkin Jr. was the star at the time, and I loved to watch him play. Due to that, I rooted for him and the Orioles. Lastly, I moved to Chicago, and lived there for over 15 years of my life. While there I got swept up into the mystic that was and is Cubs baseball. The great ballplayers, the stadium, the history. It all amazed me and I became a fan.


Now, I never lost my love for either one of those teams. I watch them all equally, and

have every right to enjoy, root and sit and watch all three teams based on what I just explained. What really matters is my love for the game, it doesn’t really matter that I’ve chosen three teams to root for. It just matters that I’m rooting, going to games and am infatuated with baseball. I am a fan of baseball in the grander outlook, but I’m also a Rangers, Orioles and Cubs fan based on the events in my life and upbringing.


Can’t you just be happy that I hate the Yankees? God, I hate the Yankees.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger David Precht said…

    And yet, after days of mulling it over, I've decided that "my team" is the Baltimore Orioles. That's just how it is. You can talk to my grandparents, my uncles and my dad why. They're amazing, and this year they're putting things together. O's in '05? Me thinks this could be reality.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home